I like to associate football during the week with European Cup matches from the good old (football) days and with teams like Olympique Marseille, Dynamo Zagreb, IFK Göteborg or FC Aberdeen. Well, as we all know, times change – not always for the better and certainly not in football – and here there is not a trace of the European Cup in sight. But that’s not the point.
As the evening sun slowly sinks into the sky, the kick-off whistle sounds punctually at 8 pm on the artificial turf pitch of Germania Weilbach. A balmy summer evening with a cool beer, the rolling ball and 22 players who give free rein to their passion for at least 90 minutes plus injury time – that’s my Champions League on this Wednesday evening.
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
- Artificial turf
- Admission: 3 €
- Beer (0,5 L): 3 €
- (Beef) Bratwurst: 3,50 €
- Conclusion: 9,50 € – anything under a tenner is just chic.
- Matchday 2, Kreisliga A (9th Division)
- Final score: Germania Weilbach II 1:1 (0:1) SG Bad Soden II
- Standings before the game: 8th (1 point) vs. 4th (3 points)
- Conclusion: Both goals were scored shortly before the end of each half. And if you don’t score in front, you get one in the back. So Germania is lucky but deserves the equaliser.